Frequently Asked Questions
What types of accessories, technologies, and components are part of the MFi Program?
The MFi Program includes third-party hardware accessories that use MFi licensed technology to connect electronically to Apple devices. MFi licensed technologies and components include the following:
- AirPlay audio
- Find My network (launching soon)
- iPod Accessory Protocol (iAP)
- MFi Game Controller
- MFi Hearing Aid
- Wi-Fi Accessory Configuration (WAC)
- Apple Watch Charger Module
- Audio Accessory Module
- Authentication coprocessors
- Headset Remote and Mic
- Lightning Audio Module
- Lightning Analog Headset Module
- Lightning to Headset Jack Adapter Module
- Lightning connectors and receptacles
- MagSafe Case Module
What types of accessories and technologies are not part of the MFi Program?
Accessories that do not use any of the MFi licensed technology listed above are not part of the MFi Program. Examples include:
- Accessories that use only standard Bluetooth profiles supported by iOS
- Accessories that use only Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) (Note: BLE-enabled HomeKit accessories and BLE-enabled MFi Hearing Aids are part of the MFi Program)
- Accessories that connect to an Apple device through the headphone jack and do not use any MFi licensed technology
- Cases that don't integrate MFi components. For example, non-electronic protective cases and folios are not part of the MFi Program. However, iPhone battery cases and MagSafe-enabled cases are part of the program.
Who should apply to the MFi Program?
Accessory developers and manufacturers who wish to create hardware accessories that use Apple technologies to connect electronically to iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple Watch should join the MFi Program. Companies, organizations, government entities and educational institutions are eligible to apply. For more information, please see the Who needs to join the MFi Program and Who does not need to join the MFi Program sections below.
What are the different roles that exist in the MFi Program?
- Accessory developer, manufacturer, or brand owner who wishes to take responsibility for MFi accessory certification requirements
- Brand owner who wishes to directly track the progress of accessory certification for MFi accessories that will bear its brand
- Contract manufacturer (CM)/ODM who wishes to develop and/or manufacture MFi accessories as finished goods for others
- Manufacturer who wishes to perform sub-assembly for MFi accessories
- Accessory manufacturer who owns a manufacturing facility and wishes to perform final assembly for its own MFi accessories
- Software provider who wishes to submit MFi accessory certification materials on behalf of another MFi Licensee
- Technology provider who wishes to provide products or services to other MFi Licensees
Can you review my product concept and advise if I need to join the MFi Program?
If you intend to develop an electronic accessory which will connect to an Apple device using MFi licensed technology, your company must first join the MFi Program. Apple is unable to provide feedback regarding a product concept prior to joining the MFi Program.
What is the royalty associated with MFi accessories?
This information is only available under NDA. You will be able to review this information once your application for the MFi License has been approved.
What will I need to apply for the MFi Program?
- Your contact information, including a business email address that matches your company's domain name
- A registered legal entity name
- Address for the company/organization's principal place of business or corporate headquarters (P.O. boxes are not accepted)
- Company/organization domain name/email address and website
- Company D-U-N-S number
- Depending on your company's location, a tax identification number
- A valid credit card or Apple Pay account
What is a D-U-N-S number?
The D-U-N-S Number is a unique nine-digit number that identifies business entities on a location-specific basis. Your D-U-N-S Number will be used to check the identity and legal entity status of your organization as part of our enrollment verification process for joining the MFi Program. Visit the D-U-N-S help page for more information.
Is there a program fee for participation in the MFi Program?
The MFi Program is USD $99 (plus any applicable taxes and fees) per membership year.
How can I check the status of my program enrollment?
Log in to the MFi Enrollment Portal using your business Apple ID to view the status of your application. Processing times may vary, depending on the volume of applications received.
Who needs to join the MFi Program
Who does not need to join the MFi Program
Verifying MFi authorized manufacturers and licensed accessories
How can I access a list of MFi authorized manufacturers?
Execute an online NDA to view the list of authorized manufacturers. Upon execution of the NDA, you will automatically be redirected to view the list. Manufacturers may opt in to be included in this list, which is updated periodically.
How can I verify if a Lightning, headset, charging, or iAP-based accessory is a licensed accessory?
Once the accessory has completed MFi certification requirements and the accessory developer/manufacturer has either reported it to Apple as sold/distributed (on a quarterly basis) or has opted to include the accessory, it will be searchable in our public database of authorized Lightning, headset, charging, and iAP-based MFi accessories.